- Location: Smithville Township, North Carolina
- Owner: Duke Energy
- Operator: Duke Energy
- Construction Cost: $3.03B (2018$)
- Plant Output: 1,900 MW (combined)
- Property Size: 1,200 acres
- Status: Operational
- Employees: 900
- Expected Shut Down Date: Unit 1 (2036), Unit 2 (2034)
- Current DTF Balance: $1.1B (2018$)
- DTF Balance Prior to Decommissioning: $1.6B (2018$)
- Decommissioning Cost Estimate: $1.3B (2018$)
- Spent Nuclear Fuel on Site: 801 metric tons
The Brunswick nuclear power station consists of two boiling water reactors. Construction began on Units 1 & 2 in 1970 with licensed operations commencing in 1977 and 1975 respectively.
In 2006, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission granted Brunswick a twenty-year license renewal for both units, extending their licensed operational life to 2036 and 2034 respectively.
The Brunswick nuclear power plant is located within Brunswick County, North Carolina. As of 2016, socioeconomic information is as follows:
- Population: 131,000
- Per Capita Annual Income: $38,000
- Unemployment rate (not seasonally adjusted): 4.8%
The plant’s annual property tax payments are approximately $1M.
Economic Development Administration Representative:
- Hillary Sherman, Atlanta Regional Office, t: (404) 730-3013, e: [email protected]
Economic Development District
Nuclear Regulatory Commission
No recent news about this plant. Try a search for other related news below.