- Location: Morris, Illinois
- Owner: Exelon
- Operator: Exelon
- Construction Cost: $480M (2018$)
- Plant Output: 280 MW
- Property Size: 950 acres
- Status: SAFSTOR
- Current DTF Balance: $400M (2018$)
- Decommissioning Completion Estimate: $430M (2018$)
- Spent Nuclear Fuel On Site: 91 metric tons
Dresden 1 was a 280 MW boiling water reactor part of the three-unit Dresden Generating Station. Construction of Dresden Unit 1 began in 1957 with commercial power production beginning in 1960. Unit 1 was retired in 1978.
Unit 1 is presently in SAFSTOR status. All spent nuclear fuel from Unit 1 has been placed in on-site dry storage. Decontamination and dismantlement of Unit 1 is presently scheduled to take place beginning in approximately 2030 in conjunction with the planned decommissioning of Units 2 and 3.
Dresden 1 is located in Grundy County, Illinois. As of 2016:
- Population: 50,000
- Per Capita Annual Income: $48,000
- Unemployment rate (not seasonally adjusted): 5.9%
No recent news about this plant. Try a search for other related news below.