- Location: Newport, Michigan
- Owner: DTE Energy
- Operator: DTE Energy
- Plant Output: 1,100 MW
- Property Size: 1,200 acres
- Status: SAFSTOR
- Current DTF Balance: $24M (2018$)
- Decommissioning Completion Estimate: $22M (2018$)
- Spent Nuclear Fuel On Site: None
Fermi Unit 1 was a prototype fast breeder reactor rated at approximately 70 MWe. Facility construction began in 1956 and the plant achieved initial criticality in 1963. In 1966, the plant suffered a partial meltdown. After repairs were made, the plant returned to operational use in 1970 but was permanently shut down in 1972.
Following shutdown in 1972, the plant was substantially decommissioned in 1975. No spent fuel remains at the site and there is limited residual radioactivity. Fermi 1 is presently in SAFSTOR status.
Fermi 1 is located within Monroe County, Michigan. As of 2016, socioeconomic information is as follows:
- Population: 150,000
- Per Capita Annual Income: $43,000
- Unemployment rate (not seasonally adjusted): 4.5%
Economic Development Administration Representative:
- Lee J. Shirey, Chicago Regional Office, t: (312) 789-9751, e: [email protected]
Nuclear Regulatory Commission
No recent news about this plant. Try a search for other related news below.