- Location: Baxley, Georgia
- Owners: Georgia Power (majority)
- Operator: Southern Nuclear
- Construction Cost: $3.9B (2018$)
- Plant Output: 1,800 MW (combined)
- Property Size: 2,200 acres
- Status: Operational
- Employees: 850
- Expected Shut Down Date: Unit 1 (2034), Unit 2 (2038)
- Current DTF Balance: $1.0B (2018$)
- DTF Balance Prior to Decommissioning: $1.6B (2018$)
- Decommissioning Cost Estimate: $1.2 (2018$)
- Spent Nuclear Fuel on Site: 1,617 metric tons
The Edwin I. Hatch nuclear power station consists of two boiling water reactors. Construction began in 1968 (Unit 1) and 1972 (Unit 2) with licensed operations commencing in 1975 and 1979 respectively.
In 2002, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission granted a twenty-year license renewal for Units 1 & 2, extending their licensed operational life to 2034 and 2038 respectively.
The Edwin I. Hatch nuclear power plant is located within Appling County, Georgia. As of 2016, socioeconomic information is as follows:
- Population: 19,000
- Per Capita Annual Income: $31,000
- Unemployment rate (not seasonally adjusted): 4.4%
Georgia Power, which owns the Hatch plant, has contributed approximately $300M in total taxes since 2007.
Economic Development Administration Representative:
- Jonathan Corso, Atlanta Regional Office, t: (404) 730-3023, e: [email protected]
Economic Development District
Nuclear Regulatory Commission
No recent news about this plant. Try a search for other related news below.