- Location: Buchanan, New York
- Owner: Entergy Nuclear Northeast
- Operator: Entergy
- Plant Output: 275 MW
- Property Size: 240 acres
- Status: SAFSTOR
- Current DTF Balance: $460M (2018$)
- Decommissioning Completion Estimate: $590M (2018$)
- Spent Nuclear Fuel On Site: 91 metric tons
Indian Point 1 was a 275 MW pressurized water reactor located on the banks of the Hudson River within what is now called the Indian Point Energy Center. Construction of Unit 1 began in 1956 and the facility was issued an operating license in 1962. The plant was shut down in 1972.
Following shutdown, some decommissioning took place between 1972 and 1978. The plan received SAFSTOR status in 1996. The plant owners intend to complete Unit 1 decommissioning in concert with the decommissioning of Units 2 and 3.
The Indian Point nuclear power plant is located within Westchester County, New York. As of 2016, socioeconomic information is as follows:
- Population: 980,000
- Per Capita Annual Income: $102,000
- Unemployment rate (not seasonally adjusted): 3.6%