- Location: Huntersville, North Carolina
- Owner: Duke Energy
- Operator: Duke Energy
- Construction Cost: $4.8B (2018$)
- Plant Output: 2,300 MW (Combined)
- Property Size: 800 acres
- Status: Operational
- Employees: 1,200
- Expected Shut Down Date: Unit 1 (2041), Unit 2 (2043)
- Current DTF Balance: $1.1B (2018$)
- DTF Balance Prior to Decommissioning: $1.8B (2018$)
- Decommissioning Cost Estimate: $1.0B (2018$)
- Spent Nuclear Fuel on Site: 1,532 metric tons
The McGuire nuclear power station consists of two pressurized water reactors. Construction began in 1971 (Units 1 & 2) with licensed operations commencing in 1981 and 1984 respectively.
In 2003, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission granted McGuire a twenty-year license renewal for both units. Its licensed operational life extends to 2041 and 2043 respectively.
The McGuire nuclear power plant is located within Mecklenburg County, North Carolina. As of 2016, socioeconomic information is as follows:
- Population: 1,077,000
- Per Capita Annual Income: $54,000
- Unemployment rate (not seasonally adjusted): 3.7%
The McGuire Nuclear Station currently pays $333,333 a year in in-lieu-tax-payments to the Town of Huntersville, as part of an agreement that runs until 2027.
Economic Development Administration Representative:
- Hillary Sherman, Atlanta Regional Office, t: (404) 730-3013, e: [email protected]
Economic Development District
Nuclear Regulatory Commission
No recent news about this plant. Try a search for other related news below.