- Location: Monticello, Minnesota
- Owner: Xcel Energy
- Operator: Northern States Power Co
- Construction Cost: $560M (2018$)
- Plant Output: 650 MW
- Property Size: 220 acres
- Status: Operational
- Employees: 500
- Expected Shut Down Date: 2030
- Current DTF Balance: $520M (2018$)
- DTF Balance Prior to Decommissioning: $700M (2018$)
- Decommissioning Cost Estimate: $620M (2018$)
- Spent Nuclear Fuel on Site: 969 metric tons
The Monticello nuclear power station consists of a single boiling water reactor. Construction began in 1967 with licensed operations commencing in 1971.
In 2006, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission granted Monticello a twenty-year license renewal, extending its licensed operational life to 2030.
The Monticello nuclear power plant is located within Wright County, Minnesota. As of 2016, socioeconomic information is as follows:
- Population: 134,000
- Per Capita Annual Income: $45,000
- Unemployment rate (not seasonally adjusted): 2.4%
The Monticello nuclear facility employs approximately 500 full-time workers, with an annual payroll of approximately $700M.
Economic Development Administration Representative:
- Darrin Fleener, Chicago Regional Office, t: (312) 789-9753, e: [email protected]
Nuclear Regulatory Commission