- Location: Monticello, Minnesota
- Owner: Xcel Energy
- Operator: Northern States Power Co
- Construction Cost: $560M (2018$)
- Plant Output: 650 MW
- Property Size: 220 acres
- Status: Operational
- Employees: 500
- Expected Shut Down Date: 2030
- Current DTF Balance: $520M (2018$)
- DTF Balance Prior to Decommissioning: $700M (2018$)
- Decommissioning Cost Estimate: $620M (2018$)
- Spent Nuclear Fuel on Site: 969 metric tons
The Monticello nuclear power station consists of a single boiling water reactor. Construction began in 1967 with licensed operations commencing in 1971.
In 2006, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission granted Monticello a twenty-year license renewal, extending its licensed operational life to 2030.
The Monticello nuclear power plant is located within Wright County, Minnesota. As of 2016, socioeconomic information is as follows:
- Population: 134,000
- Per Capita Annual Income: $45,000
- Unemployment rate (not seasonally adjusted): 2.4%
The Monticello nuclear facility employs approximately 500 full-time workers, with an annual payroll of approximately $700M.
Economic Development Administration Representative:
- Darrin Fleener, Chicago Regional Office, t: (312) 789-9753, e: [email protected]
Nuclear Regulatory Commission
- Viktoria Mitlyng, Sr. Public Affairs Officer, t: (630) 829-9662, e: [email protected]
- Monticello Nuclear Power Plant
Unless specific costing information has been provided, decommissioning costs were derived from 2017 Decommissioning Funding Status Report.
Information herein obtained from public sources. Corrections are welcome and may be directed to [email protected].
Minnesota nuclear plant to restart in next week after leak repair – spokesperson
Minnesota nuclear plant to restart in next week after leak repair – spokespersonA Minnesota nuclear power plant owned by Xcel Energy Inc will be restarted in the next week after being shut down due to a leak at the plant, a company spokesperson said on Tuesday. The Monticello Nuclear Generating Plant was fully powered down […]Read More