- Location: New Hill, North Carolina
- Owner: Progress Energy
- Operator: Progress Energy
- Construction Cost: $5B (2018$)
- Plant Output: 900 MW
- Property Size: 11,000 acres
- Status: Operational
- Employees: 800
- Expected Shut Down Date: 2046
- Current DTF Balance: $520M (2018$)
- DTF Balance Prior to Decommissioning: $950M (2018$)
- Decommissioning Cost Estimate: $490M (2018$)
- Spent Nuclear Fuel on Site: 1,575 metric tons
The Shearon Harris nuclear power station consists of a single pressurized water reactor. Construction began in 1978 with licensed operations commencing in 1987.
In 2008, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission granted Shearon Harris a twenty-year license renewal. Its licensed operational life extends to 2046.
The Shearon Harris nuclear power plant is located within Wake County, North Carolina. As of 2016, socioeconomic information is as follows:
- Population: 1,072,000
- Per Capita Annual Income: $54,000
- Unemployment rate (not seasonally adjusted): 3.4%
The Shearon Harris nuclear facility and its owner, Progress Energy, contribute approximately $10M annually in property taxes or approximately 2% of Wake County revenues.
Economic Development Administration Representative:
- Hillary Sherman, Atlanta Regional Office, t: (404) 730-3013, e: [email protected]
Nuclear Regulatory Commission
No recent news about this plant. Try a search for other related news below.