- Location: Jenkinsville, South Carolina
- Owner: Dominion Energy South Carolina (two-thirds) South Carolina Electric and Gas Co. (one-third)
- Operator: Dominion Energy South Carolina
- Construction Cost: $3.1B (2018$)
- Plant Output: 1,000 MW
- Property Size: 2,600 acres
- Status: Operational
- Employees: 825
- Expected Shut Down Date: 2042
- Current DTF Balance: $300M (2018$)
- DTF Balance Prior to Decommissioning: $560M (2018$)
- Decommissioning Cost Estimate: $450M (2018$)
- Spent Nuclear Fuel on Site: 616 metric tons
The Virgil C. Summer nuclear power station consists of a single pressurized water reactor. Construction began in 1973 with licensed operations commencing in 1984.
In 2004, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission granted Summer 1 a twenty-year license renewal. Their licensed operational life extends to 2042.
The Virgil C. Summer nuclear power plant is located within Fairfield County, South Carolina. As of 2016, socioeconomic information is as follows:
- Population: 23,000
- Per Capita Annual Income: $36,000
- Unemployment rate (not seasonally adjusted): 5.9%
The Summer facility generates approximately $28 million in annual tax revenues for the county (2016$).
Economic Development Administration Representative:
- Robin Cooley, Atlanta Regional Office, t: (803) 253-3640, e: [email protected]
Economic Development District
Nuclear Regulatory Commission
No recent news about this plant. Try a search for other related news below.