- Location: Rushmere, Virginia
- Owner: Dominion Resources
- Operator: Dominion Energy
- Construction Cost: $2.2B (2018$)
- Plant Output: 1,700 MW (Combined)
- Property Size: 840 acres
- Status: Operational
- Employees: 900
- Expected Shut Down Date: Unit 1 (2032), Unit 2 (2033)
- Current DTF Balance: $850M (2018$)
- DTF Balance Prior to Decommissioning: $1.2B (2018$)
- Decommissioning Cost Estimate: $950M (2018$)
- Spent Nuclear Fuel on Site: 1,444 metric tons
The Surry nuclear power station consists of two pressurized water reactors. Construction began in 1968 with licensed operations commencing in 1972 (Unit 1) and 1973 (Unit 2).
In 2003, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission granted Surry twenty-year license renewals. Their licensed operational life extends to 2032 & 2033 respectively.
The Surry nuclear power plant is located within Surry County, Virginia. As of 2016, socioeconomic information is as follows:
- Population: 7,000
- Per Capita Annual Income: $42,000
- Unemployment rate (not seasonally adjusted): 3.5%
The Surry nuclear facility employs 900 full-time workers with an annual payroll of approximately $85M. Local tax payments from the power plant amount to approximately $12M.
Economic Development Administration Representative:
- Bob Glitter, Philadelphia Regional Office, t: (215) 597-4360, e: [email protected]
Economic Development District
Nuclear Regulatory Commission