- Location: Killona, Louisiana
- Owner: Entergy Louisiana
- Operator: Entergy Nuclear
- Construction Cost: $6.7B (2018$)
- Plant Output: 1,200 MW
- Property Size: 3,000 acres
- Status: Operational
- Employees: 650
- Expected Shut Down Date: 2044
- Current DTF Balance: $450M (2018$)
- DTF Balance Prior to Decommissioning: $600M (2018$)
- Decommissioning Cost Estimate: $510M (2018$)
- Spent Nuclear Fuel on Site: 782 metric tons
The Waterford nuclear power station consists of one two-loop pressurized water reactor. Construction began in 1974 with licensed operations commencing in 1985.
In 2019, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission granted a twenty-year license renewal for Waterford 3, extending its licensed operational life to 2044.
The Waterford nuclear power plant is located within St. Charles Parish, Louisiana. As of 2016, socioeconomic information is as follows:
- Population: 53,000
- Per Capita Annual Income: $46,000
- Unemployment rate (not seasonally adjusted): 5.0%
The Waterford nuclear plant is the largest taxpayer in St. Charles Parish, contributing upwards of $22M per year in property taxes based on the assessed value of its plant. Following a tax revision in 2018, the Parish will gain an additional $6M in annual revenues.
Economic Development Administration Representative:
- Vicki Hendershot, Austin Regional Office, t: (225) 964-6858, e: [email protected]
Economic Development District
Nuclear Regulatory Commission