- Location: Pottstown, Pennsylvania
- Owner: Exelon
- Operator: Exelon
- Construction Cost: $8.8B (2018$)
- Plant Output: 2,300 MW (Combined)
- Property Size: 600 acres
- Status: Operational
- Employees: 780
- Expected Shut Down Date: Unit 1 (2044), Unit 2 (2049)
- Current DTF Balance: $880M (2018$)
- DTF Balance Prior to Decommissioning: $2.2B (2018$)
- Decommissioning Cost Estimate: $1.4B (2018$)
- Spent Nuclear Fuel on Site: 1,508 metric tons
The Limerick nuclear power station consists of two boiling water reactors. Construction began on Units 1 & 2 in 1974 with licensed operations commencing in 1986 and 1990 respectively.
In 2014, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission granted Limerick a twenty-year license renewal for both units extending their operational life to 2044 (Unit 1) and 2049 (Unit 2).
The Limerick nuclear power plant is located within Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. As of 2016, socioeconomic information is as follows:
- Population: 826,000
- Per Capita Annual Income: $73,000
- Unemployment rate (not seasonally adjusted): 3.6%
The annual payroll at the Limerick Generating Station is approximately $95M and in 2017 the plant contributed $3M in property tax payments.
Economic Development Administration Representative:
- Christopher Casper, Philadelphia Regional Office, t: (215) 597-1074, e: [email protected]
Nuclear Regulatory Commission
- Diane Screnci, Sr. Public Affairs Officer, t: (610) 337-5330, e: [email protected]
- Limerick Unit 1, Limerick Unit 2
Unless specific costing information has been provided, decommissioning costs were derived from 2017 Decommissioning Funding Status Report.
Information herein obtained from public sources. Corrections are welcome and may be directed to [email protected].